‘From tiny acorns, mighty oaks grow’
At Barby C of E Primary School, we aim to teach an ambitious, high-quality and enriching curriculum that enables all children to reach their full potential. Our curriculum prepares our students with the knowledge and skills for their future life and learning. Through living our Christian values, we ensure that our school is a place where we learn how to love God, one another and ourselves; developing our children to become citizens who contribute positively to society.
Our curriculum provision is an important vehicle for the delivery of our whole school vision. We aim to provide a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum that supports all of our children’s needs by:
- providing an environment and education that is safe, welcoming and supportive;
- making links across our curriculum to ensure our children understand how knowledge is built on, how its connections are diverse and how this helps them to understand their world.
- providing an education that is inclusive and is adapted and responsive to the needs of all our children;
- providing first-hand, real-life opportunities of a broad range of activities in school and beyond to develop our children’s aspiration, imagination and curiosity;
- providing role models and experiences to inspire and open children’s eyes to the possibilities around them;
- developing children who can work independently and collaboratively to achieve their best outcomes;
- developing in children a sense of their role in the community of the school and beyond so that they become contributory and responsible members of our global society;
- developing children who understand their responsibility to and impact on the environment, teaching them to become protectors of their world;
- celebrating the achievements of all our children;
- engaging our families in the life of the school and their children’s education, giving them the confidence and skill to enable their children to flourish;
- ensuring our children can communicate effectively choosing from a range of approaches to suit their purpose and audience in order to make their voices heard.
Where to find out more
On these following pages, you can find out more about the curriculum that the school is following.
Our mixed-age classes mean that we run a rolling programme of curriculum coverage. We use the National Curriculum in England as the basis for our curriculum planning.
Below is our Curriculum Overview, Cycle A 2020-21:
You will find Long Term Plans for every phase of our school. These map the sequence and progression through each subject for each class. Each year group page will have its own Long Term Plan and an overview of the curriculum taught in each term.
Curriculum Long Term Plans
See below for our Conkers (Y1 and 2) Curriculum 2020-21
See below for our Silver Birches (Y2 and 3) Curriculum 2020-21
See below for our Horse Chestnuts (Y4) Curriculum 2020-21
See below for our Oaks (Y5 and 6) Curriculum 2020-21
There are separate pages for the different subjects that are studied at Barby as well as a separate page for our Early Years. These outline how (implementation) we deliver each subject at Barby.
If you would like to find out more about the curriculum at Barby, please contact your child's class teacher in the first instance.